Sunday 19 February 2017

A few positive thoughts about Cromwell (1970)

You don't hear much good about this movie nowadays. Maybe it's dated but I think it's pretty good. I was 10 when I saw it at the cinema and loved it. I wonder what influence it had on the early Civil War reenactment scene? Last of the Mohicans inspired a wave of French and Indian reenactment in the 90s. There were a lot of props from the film Cromwell in circulation at least - swords, pots and armour. I am sure people must have gone to the cinema and come out and joined the Sealed Knot. The two central characters are perfectly cast. Alec Guiness nails it with his Charles I. Richard Harris gives a spirited rendition of Cromwell. I am sure you have all seen it but if you haven't its worth a look.

4 comments:

Colin Ashton said...

I had a nice plastic hangar that was from the film. It was nicked at an ECWS muster in Durham in 1977.

Anonymous said...

I saw this as a kid when it was released. I was sure this film ended with Cromwell's body breing disinterred by a rowdy restoration mob and his head being hung up on a building, with the rain making it appear he was crying. Saw the film a few years ago and it had no such scene. I wonder if I dreamed it, or saw it somewhere else and got confused. It is still very vivid in my mind.

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Massive film for me - very definitely a formative one in my latest wargame project an I must have first seen the film at the pictures when it came out!

Jubilo said...

Dear Somerset,
Have seen it ages ago but just got the DVD and intend to re-enjoy. Without Cromwell there would probably not be a United States. There should be statues to him in every town but that would require a study of history. Thanks again for your many efforts.